Smart Marketing for Small Businesses

Smart Marketing for Small Businesses from The Write Effect Unlimited, Inc.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Funny Business Friday--Reply All?


Business is funny. So is technology. When the two collide, there's often great opportunity for hilarity. Also humiliation. I've experienced more than my fair share of both.

Take today for example.

I'd intended to write about funny moments that have occurred in the course of operating my business. Apparently, this was a call to the universe to create some fresh material.

You see, I've received some nice messages from fans of this new page, to which I've responded. Now those who know me realize that I have a tendency toward, shall we say, exaggeration.

And so, my answer to these kind messages contained my typical brand of hyperbole, with a dash of snarkiness thrown in. (I know. It's all part of my enduring charm.)

Then a friend sent me a message. "You do realize that everything you write on here is being sent to every one of your fans, don't you?"

Whoops.

First, if you received these emails, I apologize. Second, like everyone else, I'm seeing the effects of this economy. However, I am currently not donating plasma or cashing in recycling to make ends meet.

Email blunders...who hasn't made one?

Fortunately, there's comfort in the company we keep. According to a poll conducted by The Creative Group in 2009, 78% of ad and marketing execs admitted to sending an e-mail by mistake, with embarrassing and sometimes serious consequences.

After Googling "email blunders" (which netted 1.5 million results), I have to say that I'm not quite as embarrassed as I was earlier. The following example was a definite stand-out:

"Headmaster Patrick Hazlewood and his school's bursar BarryWorth jointly received an emailed complaint from local pensioner, Mary Kelly, about some misbehavior by their pupils. 'Tell her to get stuffed,' typed Hazlewood, thinking his response was only going to his colleague. Alas, he hit 'ReplyAll.'" (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-News-Archive/Article/20080641272091)

Whoops.

Now it's your turn. What's the funniest (or most embarrassing) email blunder you've made? (You can even tell me about a techno blunder made by "a friend" if you prefer.)

Have a funny Friday, and a great weekend!

Photo Credit: Salvatore Vuono
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=659

No comments:

Post a Comment